Hello Friends! How are you all? in my previous post i have already mention Different Between BlogSpot VS WordPress-Which is better? after that in this post i am going to share What is Broken Links? How to fix broken link in WordPress? Links that do not exist or show an error, Such as 404 not found error, are called broken links. In other words, broken links are called broken links which are no longer used for work. In the past, you may have linked a page of any website to your blog posts but later that page will be removed from the website. By doing so, the link on your blog post will be a broken link. Whenever a visitor to your website clicks on that link, it will get an error of 404 Not Found or the website not found error.
This does not affect visitors only. When search engine bots get a broken link, they also get a 404 error. Seen from the SEO point of view, they put a negative impact on your website. If a website encounters many broken links, then it is called “link rot“.
After then how broken links created on your website?
Apart from the above mentioned concept, Even if your blog or website is quite popular and there are so many comments people do on your website, those comments contain links. So there are chances that many of your website’s links in comments are also broken. There are also many broken link checker websites that allow you to check broken links on your site such as Free Link Checker, W3C Link Checker etc.
How to fix Broken Link in WordPress?
For any WordPress blog, this plugin is a life-saver plugin to quickly fix broken links and re-directions. This is useful when you cleanup your WordPress site.
Broken Link Checker WordPress Plugin (BLC) is an essential SEO audit plugin
This is a free tool for WordPress. This plugin detects all your broken links and then provides you many options to fix them. This plugin checks every single URL on your WordPress blog and gives you a complete report of broken and redirected links.
How to use Broken Link Checker WordPress Plugin?
1. First download and install Brocken Link Checker plugin in your WordPress blog for Download Click here.
2. Activate this plugin and then click on Tools> Broken Links.
3. Before this plugin starts checking on broken and redirected links on your website, this will take a while. You can always check status of it in your WordPress dashboard.
4. Here is shown how this plugin shows you broken links:
5. Along with your broken links, it also shows the status code along with it, so you will be able to find out that you have to unlink this link, update it or take any action about it.
6. I would suggest you work on updating links instead of just unlinking them. If you have a huge blog that has thousands of broken links, it would be better if you get rid of such 404 links immediately.
7. You can configure more than this and many other settings. I would suggest you go to “Look for Links In” and check the comments section.
8. If your server is underpowered or overpowered, you can also set your “Server Load Limit” in the Advanced Tab.
9. And in the “General” Tab, you can prevent search engine bots from following your broken links. I highly recommend you to set this option.
Broken links found, what to do next?
After running this plugin for a few hours, you will get some broken links. For comments you can simply select “Unlink” from the dropdown by selecting all those links. For blog posts, I highly recommend that you update the link to unlink only. This will maintain the quality of your original post.
The most interesting feature of this plugin is to find and fix redirections. After a long time people change their domains and get redirection on the old domain. The Broken Link Checker plugin checks all these redirections, and in only one click, you can update or fix all the redirected links.
Note: If you are using Affiliate Links, it will be shown as redirected links, keep in mind that you do not fix Affiliate Links.
If you have ever changed the domains or you have changed the permalink structures, or you have migrated your blog from BlogSpot to WordPress, this redirect feature will be very useful to you.
Shortly before, we created the problem of HTML Suggestions under duplicate meta descriptions in Google Webmaster Tools for all posts by changing the permalink structure of a blog called CallingAllGeeks. After doing some searches I found out that he was a bug.
But together I also realised that there was no use to keep some links on the old permalink structure, because lots of redirection and broken links are not good for SEO. According to the total number of links on your site, this plugin can take up to 10 to 45 minutes to fix all the links to your site.
It does not absolutely depend on which platform you are using, whether it is WordPress or another, broken links is not great for any blog in terms of SEO. Whenever you do an SEO audit of your website, do not forget to use Broken Link Checker.
I hope this tutorial of What is Broken Links? How to fix broken link in WordPress?is very helpful to all of you if you like this post please share it with your friends via social network and if you have any question regarding this post you can ask with me in bellow comment box.